California DUI Penalties
Helping Our Clients Avoid California's Harsh DUI Penalties
The penalties for driving while drunk or under the influence of drugs are often severe. If you have been charged with DUI, your driving privileges, immigration status, employment status, and car insurance premiums may all be negatively affected. In addition, you could face heavy fines, probation, and even jail time. You need a skilled DUI attorney in the Bay Area who can fight these charges aggressively and effectively. At Law Office of Shelley D. Dwyer, our attorney and legal team have the experience and knowledge necessary to help you resolve your DUI issues quickly and efficiently.
What are the Penalties for a DUI in California?
In California, if a child under the age of 14 is in your vehicle at the time of your DUI arrest, the penalties may be much harsher. If you are caught exceeding the speed limit by 20 miles per hour on the road or by 30 miles per hour on the freeway, you face a bare minimum of 60 days in jail. Also, you can lose your driving privileges for an extended period of time if you were DUI and you were under 21 years of age, even if your blood alcohol content was only 0.01.
The following are the general penalties for DUI, though they are not all set in stone:
- First DUI offense: You can reasonably expect to be face anywhere from 2 to 30 or more days in a county jail, depending on the county that prosecutes you. However, your time may be restricted to the sheriff’s work program, which is a better alternative to jail. Also, depending on your specific situation, you will be required to complete a drinking driving program for either six weeks, three months, six months, or nine months. You will further be required to pay a fine, usually costing around $1,500, which is again dependent on the county that prosecutes you.
- Second DUI offense: Second offenses can bring about serious jail time. Even if you are granted probation by the courts, you could still potentially face a driver’s license suspension for 2 years and jail time ranging anywhere from 10 days to 1 year. In addition, you will be required to start and finish a drug/alcohol education program lasting 18 months. If the courts do not grant you probation, you could face the aforesaid driver’s license suspension for 2 years as well as 90 days to 1 year in jail. You can also reasonably expect to be required to install an ignition interlock device in your car and pay a fine exceeding $1,500.
- Third DUI offense: The penalties are much more severe and consist of a 3 years’ driver’s license suspension, 120 days to 1 year in jail, a fine greatly exceeding $1,500, and enrollment in an 18-month drug/alcohol education program.
- Subsequent DUI offenses: If probation is granted by the courts, you face a license revocation for 4 years, enrollment in an 18-month long drug/alcohol education program, a fine exceeding $1,500, and 180 days to 1 year in jail. If the courts do not grant you probation, you could face a revoked license for 4 years, 6 months to 1 year in county jail, a fine exceeding $1,500, and approximately 3 years in state prison.
Contact Our DUI Attorney Today
All of these penalties may be more severe if there were aggravating factors in your DUI arrest. These factors include having an extremely high BAC at the time of the DUI, having a child in your vehicle, driving recklessly while speeding, or refusing a chemical test when asked to complete one by the authorities. A skilled and experienced DUI attorney in the Bay Area can help your circumstances seem less extreme than the prosecution would try to display to a judge or jury.
Here are several benefits of hiring our firm when facing serious California DUI penalties:
- We can assess the facts of your case and advise you on the best legal strategy to take
- Our legal team is familiar with applicable laws and court proceedings related to DUIs, so they can help reduce or dismiss charges.
- We will analyze all evidence in your case to determine if any searches or seizures were unlawful, which may lead to a dismissal of charges.
- With our knowledge and experience, we are better equipped than the average person to challenge testimonies from witnesses and law enforcement officers involved in your arrest.
- Our firm will work hard for you by negotiating with prosecutors on lesser punishments such as community service instead of jail time.
- During trial proceedings, we can give you peace of mind that someone knowledgeable about state laws is fighting for your rights.
Backed by over 30 years of legal experience, attorney Shelley D. Dwyer knows the DUI laws inside and out and we will work to use them to your advantage. For aggressive, effective, and personalized DUI defense, contact Law Office of Shelley D. Dwyer today.