Redwood City Assault Attorney
Experienced Defense Against Assault Charges in California
When facing assault charges in California, you need an experienced and knowledgeable attorney to protect your rights and provide you with the best possible defense. At the Law Offices of Shelley D. Dwyer, our Redwood City assault lawyers are committed to defending your interests and helping you navigate the complex legal system.
Call the Law Offices of Shelley D. Dwyer today at (650) 419-2940 or contact us online to schedule a consultation with our assault lawyer in Redwood City.
What is Assault?
Assault is considered a serious criminal offense that involves intentionally causing harm or the reasonable fear of harm to another person. It's important to understand that assault does not necessarily involve physical contact; it can also include threats or actions that make someone reasonably fear for their safety. In California, assault is typically divided into two categories:
- Simple Assault: Simple assault is typically a misdemeanor offense and occurs when someone attempts to commit a violent injury to another person or acts in a way that makes the other person reasonably fear for their safety. Penalties for simple assault can include fines, probation, and potential jail time.
- Aggravated Assault: Aggravated assault is considered the more serious offense and involves circumstances that make the assault more severe. This may include using a deadly weapon, causing serious bodily injury, or assaulting certain protected individuals such as police officers or healthcare workers. Penalties for aggravated assault can be much more severe and may result in substantial prison time.
What are the Penalties for Assault in California?
The legal consequences for assault in California can differ widely depending on the case's specific circumstances, the offense's severity, and the defendant's criminal history. Here are some potential consequences you may face if convicted of assault:
- Fines: Depending on the type of assault, fines could vary from hundreds to thousands of dollars.
- Probation: A judge may impose probation as part of the sentence, requiring you to adhere to certain conditions, such as attending anger management classes or staying away from the victim.
- Jail or Prison Time: For simple assault, you may face up to six months in county jail. However, aggravated assault can result in much longer prison sentences, potentially up to life in prison for certain circumstances.
- Restitution: If the victim suffered financial losses due to the assault, you may be ordered to pay restitution to cover their medical expenses, therapy, or other costs.
- Criminal Record: An assault conviction can result in a permanent criminal record, which can have a lasting impact on your life, including difficulty finding employment or housing.
Defenses Against Assault Charges
Facing assault charges does not mean you are automatically guilty. There are several effective defenses that a skilled Redwood City assault attorney can use to challenge the charges against you:
- Self-Defense: If you acted in self-defense or to protect others, your actions may be justified. Your attorney can argue that you reasonably believed you were in danger and had no option but to defend yourself.
- Lack of Intent: Assault requires intent. If you did not intend to harm or threaten another person, your attorney can argue that the prosecution cannot prove the necessary intent for an assault conviction.
- False Accusations: In some cases, individuals may make false accusations of assault for various reasons. Your attorney can investigate and present evidence to show that the allegations are not credible.
- Mistaken Identity: If there is a question about whether you were the person who committed the assault, your attorney can present evidence to establish doubt about your identity as the perpetrator.
Contact Our Assault Lawyer in Redwood City Today
If you or a loved one is facing assault charges in California, don't delay seeking legal representation. The consequences of an assault conviction are often very severe, and you deserve a strong defense. We will work tirelessly to protect your rights, build a solid defense strategy, and strive for the best possible outcome in your case. Your future is too important to leave to chance; let us be your advocates in the courtroom.
Contact the Law Offices of Shelley D. Dwyer today to get started with our Redwood City assault attorney.